In spite of the fact that Android phones far outsell their main competitor, they still catch a lot of flack. Depending on whom you ask, Android users are cheapskates, with about 4,000 different Android devices the fragmentation problems are debilitating, businesses prefer iOS over Android, etc. Today, however, we thought we’d take a look at what Android does better than iOS, and it turns out that includes quite a lot. Even Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak thinks so.
- Alerts: Smartphone alerts give you timely updates of important information, and if they’re well implemented they go a long way to making you more productive. Android’s alert system is considerably superior to the iPhone’s mostly because of its “immediate glance-ability,” that is, the display that lets you know as soon as you turn it on if you have e-mail, if you’re being talked about on social media, or even if there’s a hurricane coming your way.
- Near-field communication: NFC capability is what allows Android users to share photos, playlists, contacts, and videos just by tapping their phones together. It’s also integral in mobile payment systems and a few Android-only mobile apps. And for now, anyway, it’s not available on iOS hardware.
- Screen size: As you probably already know, Apple recently expanded its screen real estate from 3.5 inches to 4. But because it has so many different hardware options, Android users can get a wide range of screen sizes going as high as the 6.3 inches from the Samsung Galaxy Note III.
- Cables: If you recently upgraded to the iPhone 5, the sticker price wasn’t all you had to worry about. You either had to shell out for new cables, or for new adapters for the old cables with which your 4S was compatible.
- Keyboard options: iOS auto-correct humor sites are a lot of fun, but the fact that there’s only one keyboard to choose from can be a little frustrating. Not so with Android, which allows, indeed even encourages, keyboard customization apps like SwiftKey and Swype.
So while Android’s vast array of hardware options certainly can lead to a few problems, bear in mind that there are still a lot of things that it does awfully well.